2/24/2008

_03

We went to k-mart last night to buy a dish scrubber. When we were at the check-out counter I told they lady "oh, its okay, we don't need a bag for that. we can just carry it out." She seemed shocked at first, and then said "oh yeah, I remember you two, the one's that don't use bags."
I was a little surprised because a). we haven't been to k-mart in a few weeks and b.) I would imagine that there are other people in provo who recognize the pointless waste it is to wrap every little item they purchase in an extra layer of plastic that is only going to be thrown away. am I crazy? or does anyone else agree that plastic bags are pointless, especially if you are only buying one or two or three items. Why not just carry the items out in your hands? And for bigger purchases bring a tote bag? Anyway, I know there are a lot of people out there that already do many things to reduce waste, and conserving plastic bags is just a tiny little part of it. But I was amazed by the fact that so few of the shoppers at k-mart choose not to use plastic bags that the employees there are beginning to recognize us as "the one's that don't use bags."
pretty funny. and maybe a little sad?

4 comments:

adam said...

I totally agree.

Rupeshow said...

super funny story. i usually tell them to double bag everything i purchase and people remember me as the guy who uses all kinds of bags.

Barb: said...

I agree. I only ask for bags when I am buying a ton of groceries or something. This still leaves me with lots of bags at home, but my latest use for them is for concealing smelly diapers so I don't have to rush out to the dumpster after every diaper change.

Original Kos said...

K-mart always feels abandoned to me. Maybe I'm just used to Wal-Mart though.